Published September 2010
Available through Amazon
Spiral Dancer Earrings
Class Length: 6 hours
Learn to make sinuous spirals and sculptural ruffles to create this unique pair of earrings.
The spirals lay flat along a single plane, while the ruffles curl dramatically into three dimensions.
You’ll have the choice of making a mixed pair or a matched set of either flat or ruffled spiral
earrings for three different looks from one pattern.
And there’s plenty of room for experimentation and improvisation! Learn to control the amount
and degree of ruffle using peyote stitch while creating these fun earrings which could also be
easily worked into a decorative brooch or pendant.
We will start by discussing potential color schemes. I’ll review the basic peyote stitch, then we’ll move on into sculptural peyote.
Skills and Skill Levels required for class
Experience with standard peyote stitch and beading in general is recommended.
- Pencil or pen for notetaking
- Beading needle (I prefer the John James sharps, size 11 or 12)
- Beading thread: Silamide, Superlon AA in coordinating or contrasting color(s)
- Small, sharp embroidery scissors
- Bead mat or tray to hold beads
- Beeswax for coating thread
Beads and Materials
- 3 colors size 11 Japanese seed beads
- 1 or 2 colors size 8 seed beads
- 1 color size 6 seed beads
- Ear wires for earrings
Kits and Supplies
Bead kits may be available for purchase. Contact instructor beforehand to verify.